[plt-scheme] Is there a way to serialize/pickle MzScheme values?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 31 14:52:03 EST 2003

At Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:06:44 -0500 (EST), Sarino Suon wrote:
> I've checked archives of past discussions and all the DrScheme manuals,
> but I couldn't find any indication of a function or library to make
> MzScheme data persistent, to a string or a file. Is there one?

Not currently, though it's on our high-priority to-do list.

> If not, what would be involved to make it happen? I'm starting to
> study the innards of MzScheme itself and might like to help out.

A good starting point is probably the current support in the printer
and reader for graph output. (In fact, that's why I tend to think of
the problem as related to extensible reader syntax, but likely I'm
wrong.)

In terms of the interface, pickling shouldn't give a task access to the
content of an opaque data structure. Probably the ability to pickle
should be tied to inspectors.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.