[plt-scheme] UriFrame 0.1 (Was: web-server and file names)

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Mar 30 16:11:13 EST 2003

Daniel Silva <dansilva at lynx.dac.neu.edu> writes at 20:48 29-Mar-2003 -0500:
> http://myserver/shared/test%20file
>
> How do I serve files with spaces in their names?

I don't have the answer (one of the PLT servlet people will know), but
your question reminds me to post a snapshot of UriFrame, a URI framework
intended for Web agents that must support multiple URI schemes and may
have application-specific behavior or schemes to add.

    http://www.neilvandyke.org/uriframe/uriframe.pdf
    http://www.neilvandyke.org/uriframe/uriframe.html
    http://www.neilvandyke.org/uriframe/uriframe.ss

I'd appreciate any comments on the API at this point.  The documentation
gives it a bloated or over-engineered look, but it's actually reasonably
efficient (if you need robust support for multiple URI schemes), and for
most applications the uses of the API will appear simple, e.g.:

    (send (string->uri "http://myserver/shared/test%20file") path-segments)
    ==> ("shared" "test file")

I emphasize that UriFrame is not optimized for applications that only
need to support one URI scheme, such as the PLT servlet code.  I believe
Noel Welsh, for one, is working on extensions to the servlet URL code.

--
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/