[plt-scheme] Stepping

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Mar 26 09:26:38 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 09:02  AM, Katsmall the Wise wrote:

> Why does the stepper only work for the "Beginning Student" through the
> "Beginning Student with List Abbreviations" language levels?
> When do you think it will work for advanced languages?  I could really
> use it...

I'm very tempted to use the passive voice in answering this question.

The principal obstacle to extending the stepper to handle more language
levels is the issue of macro unwinding.  However, I am working on
extending the stepper to at least the intermediate level.

A more helpful suggestion might be to try out the new, extended
'errortrace' functionality.  That is, the window that you get from
clicking the 'bug' icon next to an error message now contains turn-down
lists of bindings for that frame.  So, if you want to know what the
value of 'p' was in a certain call to 'f', you turn down the
appropriate[*] 'bindings' arrow and you can see the value of 'p'.

I hope this helps,

john clements

[*] The variable you're interested in --- as long as it's not a
top-level variable --- will occur in one of the bindings boxes.  But I
won't say which.  Hopefully, this will be pretty easy to figure out.

Posted on the users mailing list.