[plt-scheme] schemeql

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 09:21:29 EST 2003

I'm trying to use SchemeQL, but I'm probably either doing something dumb, or
impossible, or both.  I  can't get even a simple example to work, e.g.:

  (require (lib "schemeql.ss" "schemeql"))
  (define conn (connect-to-database "mydb" "sa" "the-actual-password"))
  (schemeql-execute (query ALL companies) conn)

	=>

  #<sql-hdbc>
  SELECT *
     FROM companies
  uncaught exception: #2(struct:schemeql-unknown-error
  (("HY090" 0 "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]   Invalid string or buffer
length")))

I've checked that SrPersist is working, with the exact same connection info
and queries that I've tried with SchemeQL.  I don't see any problems there,
but I haven't tried any substantial test.

I'm using the official distribution of DrScheme v202, on Windows 2000 Server
SP3.  The database is MS SQL Server 6.5 (kinda old, but also pretty
standard).  The ODBC About pane reports version 3.520.6200.0 for all ODBC
core components.  The SQL Server driver is version 3.70.09.61.

The following are returned by the various version functions:

(version) => "202"
(sister-ver) => 3.51
(schemeql-version) => "SchemeQL v.0.05"
(srp-version) => "202"
(compiled-odbc-version) => "3.51"

Could the fact that my ODBC version is 3.520, whereas SrPersist is compiled
for 3.51 be an issue?  But as I said, SrPersist seems to work for simple
tests.

BTW, I noticed in searching for an answer that someone in the Sourceforge
SchemeQL Help forum reported an identical problem with an MS Access database
on Monday:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=832407&forum_id=62865

...but no replies yet.  Suggestions?

Anton