[plt-scheme] package management thoughts

From: MJ Ray (markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 13 10:19:48 EST 2003

Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> We are talking about the real require. The reason is that the backend that
> handles (require (cspan ...)) will know only to go out to the network when
> necessary and we'll get all the benefits of explicitly getting modules

Another case: What if I haven't realised that one of the many files in a
package requires something from the archive and it only goes out to get
it when I run it as a user?  I probably wanted that installed system-wide,
not individual copies for all users who run it.

There are many other situations like that.  I beg you to disable the
automatic downloading by default, probably by giving a nice error that
tells them what they need to do.  Otherwise, it will make PLT a thorn
in the sysadmin's side.  I don't think that's what we want.

MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef at jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.

Posted on the users mailing list.