[plt-scheme] fonts in text-field% and message%

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 7 12:23:37 EST 2003

At Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:24:06 +0100, "Gerhard Bitsch" wrote:
> (schrift1 (make-object font% 50 "Chess Leipzig" 'default 'normal 'normal))
> [...]
> (fenster3 "pPpPpPpP")
>
> The result is a window with "pPpPpPpP" in the message- and text-fields.
> Neither Dingbats nor Chess Leipzig are used. We tried all possible font
> attributes to no avail.
>
> What are we doing wrong?

Nothing. The short answer is that it was a bug, and it's fixed for the
next release. (It's fixed in CVS for version 203.5.)

A longer answer is that MrEd always requested ANSI_CHARSET fonts from
Windows, instead of asking Windows what charset a particular face
supplies, and then requesting that charset. The "Chess Leipzip" and
"ZapfDingbats BT" font faces supply SYMBOL_CHARSET.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.