[plt-scheme] availability of RPM for RH 8.0 and DrScheme 203

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:15:29 EST 2003

At Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:54:55 -0500, "Paul Steckler" wrote:
> The effort is not the issue.  I worry that people will run into the
> problems we've seen if the contributed RPM doesn't match their version
> of Linux.  So the question is, do we want to offer an RPM that will make
> some people happy, but confuse others?

I think the confusion added in RPMs will be offset by confusion saved
in not making people compile from source.

> > That's not the right place. We'd just ending sending lots of e-mail to
> > tell people where the RPMs are hidden.
>
> I agree with that.
>
> Maybe the right thing is to have a special "RPM contrib page" separate
> from (and with a direct link from) the main download pages, where we can
> offer RPMs "as is".

Why not list the packages in the normal "platform" list, then on the
download page that follows, add a mild disclaimer and the contibutor's
e-mail address?

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.