[plt-scheme] #%app and tail recursion

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Jul 17 14:27:17 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Anton" == Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes:

Anton>   For list-related administrative tasks:

>> > You wouldn't be implementing a debugger, would you?
Anton> >
>> Actually I'm porting Envdraw to DrScheme. Envdraw draws environment
>> diagrams a la SICP. With #%app et al I might be able to throw out the
>> meta-circular evaluator that Envdraw uses.

Anton> Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but having briefly looked at the docs for
Anton> EnvDraw, it looks to me as though integrated with PLT Scheme, without a
Anton> meta-circular evaluator, it could be quite a useful debugging tool.

It could also be a good explanatory tools.  However, the exact
notation used in SICP isn't too well suited to easing understanding of
the environment model.  (We tried it twice on our students, with
pretty disappointing results.)  In particular, the diagram model
doesn't make a clear visual difference between mutable and immutable
locations, and it has a notion of immediate values, which students
(without prior exposure to compiler construction) can't really grasp.
We ended up working out a related, but more elaborate system for our
classes with better results.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike