[plt-scheme] scheme enabled web pages

From: Paul Graunke (ptg at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 23 12:50:20 EST 2003

The old version of help-desk interpreted scheme embedded in HTML, but
the Web server never supported this explicitly.  (The embedded code
worked only when viewed with help-desk.)

If you want something like scheme embedded inside HTML, the closest
thing is to use servlets.  They can come pretty close to what you want.

  1. Start DrScheme.
  2. Choose "Insert XML box" from the Special menu.
  3. Enter some HTML inside the box.
  4. Choose "Insert Scheme box" to place a scheme box inside the HTML box.
  5. Enter some scheme code.
  6. Choose "Create Servlet..." from the Scheme menu and
     save the servlet inside the servlets directory.

At this point, if you did everything flawlessly, you have a working
servlet that you can access from your Web browser through the Web server.
If not, load the "servlet" teachpack, place (send/back ) around the
HTML box, and click execute to debug your servlet.

If you have comments or suggestions on how to make the transition from
HTML to servlets easier, please let us know.

Thank you,

Paul Graunke

At Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:27:35 +0100, Rohan Nicholls wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have got web-server up and running, and the web-root moved to
> something more useable, and have been reading the documentation on the
> server, but I remember that when first I looked at the web server back
> in v103, that there was a way to embed scheme in an html tag.
>
> Was I imagining things, and if not is that still possible?
>
> I am just trying to put together some silly functionality very quickly
> and am not concerned about performance at the moment, to get aquainted
> with the system, before diving into WebIt! and servlets.:)
>
> thanks,
>
> rohan

Posted on the users mailing list.