[plt-scheme] Problem with french keyboard

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Jan 17 18:02:22 EST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 03:14  AM, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

> John Clements wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Jean-Paul Roy wrote:
>
>>     (Old) problems with MacOS-X French keyboard.
>
>> A french keyboard is not required to reproduce this problem.
> ..
>
> ==
>
> OK, my turn to complain. A french keyboard, but under Windows 2000.
>
> In order to enter #f I type # which produces two of them, with
> the cursor between, then erase one before adding f (with one
> additional left or right cursor jump). Not so nice...

My guess is that this is related to my paren-balancing mechanism.  For
instance, if you type meta-(, you'll get a matching pair, with the
cursor between them.  If you get used to programming this way, it's
very convenient and pretty much guarantees that your parens are always
always balanced.  In a fever of abstraction, I added this feature for
[, {, and finally | and #.  Oh, and ".  I don't see your behavior here,
but I haven't had the chance to try it with a french keyboard yet.

john clements

Posted on the users mailing list.