[plt-scheme] Memory, memory...

From: Jerzy Karczmarczuk (karczma at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 17 08:53:57 EST 2003

Folks, I am doing right now the following experiment.

I open DrScheme 2.03 under Windows 2000. Empty.
The machine is quite small, 64M, used as a presentation
device for students, not for development.
Language: MrEd without debugging.

28M according to the task manager. What for?
I iconise the interface, and the footprint drops to 3M.
So, some Windows ressources seem being heavily used.

I reopen the window.

4M, 5M, still rising...
Hm. Already 9.  4 minutes...
Screen saver activated. I move the mouse.
24M.
I click on the editor window, always empty.
It stabilises at 27M. I click a few times on both subwindows.
Rises, 28.4M and stabilizes.

I don't understand this behaviour. It seems that the improvement
of the memory administration between 0.59 and 1.3 is gone now...

I send this observation, because it is possible that my laptop
has some horrible disease. If not, then I suspect that DrScheme,
even idle, makes one of its threads allocate the memory
all the time up to some saturation limit.

Do you have any suggestion?
[Throw away Windows 2000? Yes, thank you, I thought about that
already, for some silly reasons I can't...]

But you can imagine that on a 64M machine the fact that Scheme
swallows up 30M becomes a bit critical. I agree that I should
have a bigger machine, but I would like to understand what
happens. Python with wx, with Tkinter, with Numeric, PIL, etc.
doesn't go above 15M.

Thank you.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France