[plt-scheme] Eval'ing DrScheme: performance differences under Win32 and Linux

From: Sarino Suon (ssuon at polaris.umuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 5 13:22:26 EST 2003

Hi:

I am fascinated by the MrEd framework and in particular that it allows
separation of GUI messages into separate eventspaces. To test its limits,
I decided to progressively do an EVAL on the drscheme.ss file (after
modifying it so that it isn't a module.)

I did it recursively: once a DrScheme environment is created, I use it to
EVAL another DrScheme environment.

My question: Under Win2000, I can create more than 7 recursive
environments "deep" without any noticeable slowdown. Under Linux (RedHat
7.3 using GNOME), however, the first EVAL takes forever to start up,
and it gets much much slower thereafter.

What accounts for this difference?

Thanks for your help.

--- Sarino

Posted on the users mailing list.