[plt-scheme] Unicode

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 16 20:43:55 EST 2003

At Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:06:48 +0100, Erich Rast wrote:
> My top feauture request for MzScheme is still support for Unicode,
> preferably not in normal strings but rather in a seperate primitive
> data type 'text'.  Of course, MrEd's controls and menus (especially
> text%) ought to support it as well.
>
> Are there any plans for supporting it?

Unicode support is on my short list, in the form that you suggest.

However, my short list contains about a dozen items of roughly equal
priority and difficulty.

> Is there a release schedule for
> DrScheme/MrEd/MzScheme version 3?

We try to release whetever we have when May, August, and December roll
around. Then we pick a version number, based on how much has changed. I
predict a version 204 in May, but I'm just guessing.

Speaking for myself, I have no idea what I'll have ready by May
(including Unicode). It will include some of the dozen things I'd most
like to implement, but the details will depend on what seems most
immediately useful along the way.

> Will there be more cross-platform GUI support[...]?

We'll continue to improve MrEd in various ways, especially in the
still-evolving OS X port, but those changes will be relatively minor.

I believe that Neil Van Dyke is meanwhile working on gtk bindings.
(Neil?)

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.