[plt-scheme] triggering choice% popup

From: Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt at web.de)
Date: Mon Dec 22 11:00:09 EST 2003

 For list-related administrative tasks:

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Flatt wrote:

> I've been meaning to answer your question about combo boxes (choice
> plus text field). The short answer is that it's a missing widget.

I've been trying to get a choice% object to drop down it's list of items at a keystroke. The idea was that the popup/drop-down would be triggered by a mouse-event called via on-sub-window-event.

Well this is the latest version of that code, still nothing works.

(define my-choice%
 (class choice%
   (rename (sup-on-sub window-event on-sub window-event ))
   (define/override (on-sub window-event self mouse-event)
     (when (eqv? (send mouse-event get-event-type) 'left-down)
       (display mouse-event)
       (newline))
     (sup-on-sub window-event self mouse-event)
     #f)
   (define/override (on-sub window-char self key-event)
     ;(send self clear)
     (on-sub window-event self (make-object mouse-event% 'left-down #f))
     #f)
   (super-instantiate ())))

Is my assumption wrong that the popup can be triggered like this? Is there any other way?

Best regards
and merry Christmas

Guenther

> Providing the platform-specific widget on each GUI platform is probably
> not too difficult, but the resulting text field wouldn't behave quite
> like text-field%, which is implemented using text%. I'm not sure how
> easy it will be to get a combo box that works well with the rest of
> MrEd, but it sounds like you're trying...
>
> Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.