[plt-scheme] mzc: native code path + plt/collects/mzlib

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 18 11:33:02 EDT 2003

At Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:41:18 -0500, Bill Richter wrote:
> (banach)plt> setup-plt  --collection-extension
> setup-plt: unknown flag: "--collection-extension"
>
> (banach)plt> setup-plt --extension

Right. I get the flags for setup-plt and mzc confused.

> setup-plt: Compiling extension for MzLib at
> /.autofs/home/richter/plt/collects/mzlib
> make: Failed to make compiled/native/process.c; Errors encountered.
> Compilation aborted.

Bug in "process.ss". This is now fixed in CVS.

> So didn't get the needed final _loader.so file, and that was because
> process.c didn't compile?  mzscheme won't use etc.o by itself?

Right: --extension attempts to create a single shared object for a
collection.

That was important with the old unit system, so that libraries could
share signature information. It might be a bad idea, now.

>    1. mzc compilation often fails to provide any speed increase.
>
> Interesting.  But wouldn't you think that row reducing matrices and
> quicksorting long lists would profit from native compilation?

Maybe. But I couldn't detect a difference when quicksorting a list of
100,000 fixnums with '<'.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.