[plt-scheme] plt-deb-taskforce and a compilation problem

From: Brent Fulgham (brent.fulgham at xpsystems.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 15:41:47 EDT 2002

> I *would* factor out SrPersist into a separate package.  PLT
> distributes it separately from DrScheme.  Most DrScheme users
> don't need it.
>
> If MzScheme is its own package, and DrScheme depends on it,
> wouldn't that work?  Is the objection to the reporter's
> suggestion that the current packages aren't structured that
> way?

This takes us back to the earlier discussion on source files.  The
way the Debian autobuilders work, a source package must either
be able to build itself (via some internal bootstrap), or it
must be buildable with some set of other installed software.

The catch is that each 'external' package involved in a build
must be separate from the current source package.  So, if I took
the DrScheme sources and used them to build DrScheme and MzScheme,
I could not then build SrPersist using MzScheme (since SrPersist
is part of the same source tarball.)

If I made SrPersist its own source package, then I could safely
force the autobuilders to rely on MzScheme and there is no
problem.

Since SrPersist is only a few files and directories, this isn't
that big a deal to do manually each time DrScheme is updated by
the PLT team.

-Brent

Posted on the users mailing list.