[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Michael Brickenstein (bricken at rhrk.uni-kl.de)
Date: Thu Sep 26 09:56:05 EDT 2002

Hello!

> Some thoughts on prettier GUIs:

I think this all is definitively a big problem. We really need a better GUI,
in particular a better canvas. Drawings look badly (no antialiased lines),
and it should be object oriented like evas or gnome-canvas with features like
"Give me the objects at this points".

> - GTK could be bound using SWIG (comments from those
> with more experience with SWIG?)

Gtk maybe, but we also need a good canvas (guile's support for gnome-canvas
exists more or less only on paper).
Gnome-canvas is harder, not so easy to make with just SWIG I think.
Variable numbers and types of arguments, ugly.

I've recently done some major work with swig for a scheme binding of evas (the
canvas, which will be used in enlightenment 17).
Such a think needs always handwritten code for critical points like callbacks.
Swig is however not very mature for using with mzscheme. But I've got some
little example working and have some fun.
I'll let you know in this list, when I publically release my code.

Michael

Posted on the users mailing list.