[plt-scheme] I want the old help desk back

From: MJ Ray (markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 1 21:13:39 EDT 2002

Paul Steckler <steck at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> In Mozilla or IE, I can right-click on a frame and save a bookmark to it.
> [...]

IME, Windows users are ignorant of context menus like that and GNU/Linux
desktop users are getting very used to drag-and-drop too.  Mozilla certainly
seems to make it easier to bookmark a page by drag-and-drop of the location
icon than anything else.  Bookmarking a frame *can* be done, but it's not
the obvious case.

I admit, I don't really see why frames are required in the help-desk.  See,
for example: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html
http://gothic.moremagic.com/~karri/noframes.html
http://www.asktog.com/readerMail/1998-12ReaderMail.html
http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
...and a long list of others along the whole life of those pesky frame tags.
It looks like xhtml2 will probably finally remove them.

MJR

Posted on the users mailing list.