[plt-scheme] Fwd: [Contrib-Rpm] drscheme-202-1mdk

From: Guillaume Rousse (rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 7 14:55:43 EDT 2002

Le Dimanche 6 Octobre 2002 20:06, Jens Axel Søgaard a écrit :

> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> >   For list-related administrative tasks:

> Me neither.
>
> >> Well, if you're just a perl user, you don't need perl-devel. You
> >> need it only if you want to compile perl modules. Splitting package
> >> is a way to give more flexibility to your setup. Of course, it also
> >> suppose you have some rpm-management tools over raw rpm, as urpmi or
> >> apt-get.
> >
> > Oh, whatever (I know nothing on these tools)...  It just sounds like a
> > hard thing to decide what goes where.  If you're aiming at a basic
> > minimal set of files for pure users, you don't need the documentation
> > tree also, help-desk, mzc, etc, but pulling these things out might
> > break other things (I'm not sure).  BTW, if you are doing the
> > separation work anyway, then a seperate mred+drscheme rpm sounds like
> > a good idea.
OK, i'm going this way.

> I wote for one package and one package only. If one makes such packages
> then one should be prepared to keep them uptodate (for a while at least),
> and the one package deal is far the easiest to maintain. Furthermore one
> package is easier for new users to handle.
Wrong. You're reasonning with raw rpm management in mind. Should plt package
even get splitted in gazillion of subpackage, a single 'upmi drscheme' should
ensure everything is retrieved and installed properly with up-to-date
version. And gui is even available for newbies.

> Getting the devel-package of
> foo with a version that matches the version of foo installed is often
> imposible.
Wrong again. Just having -devel package requires same version and release of
main package is enough.

> >> I found the package following a link called "Download DrScheme", so
> >> i assumed i downloaded only a part of plf project.
>
> I think you should ask the PLT team for advice - for file structure
> as well as license issues [don't assume - check]. I think it would
> be nice if the directory structure for the tar/rpm/deb/* was the
> same - although one should also respect the different distributions.
Package should rather respect cross-distribution standards, as Linux Standard
Base or File Hierarchy Standard. Having non-standard setup in other rpm
tarball shouldn't prevent other to comply.

> >> I just used the original plt rpm description also. BTW, using
> >> personal appreciations in a software description is wrong: if you
> >> package it, it is generally because you find it good enough.
>
> For some one that just need /a/ Scheme, it would be a good thing
> to point out that PLT Scheme is [one-of] the best all round implementation.
Well, again i think descriptions should be as neutral as possible. It is up to
user to decide, not to packager to play marketing department ...
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html