[plt-scheme] Fwd: [Contrib-Rpm] drscheme-202-1mdk

From: Guillaume Rousse (rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr)
Date: Sat Oct 5 19:13:09 EDT 2002

Hello.

I've juste introduced drscheme in Mandrake Linux contributions. As src rpm
found on your website was..., hum, ugly, i had to rewrite it from scratch.
I'd bet the author (i'm CCing him this mail, just in case he would not be
subscribed to the list) should learn to use rpm better instead of using
ironics comments about insecure langages in spec file :-)

Final result is available on every mdk mirrors worldwide, and spec file from
mandrake CVS here
http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/contrib-SPECS/drscheme, if
your'e interested.

Anyway, i have several questions, as i'm totally new to drscheme and to scheme
in general. Please correct my assumption if they are wrong.

First, i've attempted to achieve FHS compliance by keeping only collects and
teachpack dirs in $PLT_HOME. binaries, includes, libraries and man pages, are
in their standard system directories. I just kept a bin symlink in $PLT_HOME
pointing to /usr/bin, as i think binaries call each others by refering to
$PLT_HOME/bin as path.

Second, i've setup $PLT_HOME as /usr/lib/drscheme (maybe i should have used
/usr/lib/plt instead ?). I was not sure generated .zo file are platform
independant, otherwise /usr/share/drscheme (or plt) would be more adequate.

Third, i segregated statics libs and headers in a -devel package, as they are
not useful unless you want to develop for drscheme. However, i saw there are
other headers left in main package, as $PLT_HOME/collects/compiler/mzclink.h,
and c exemple files, as whole $PLT_HOME/collects/mzscheme/examples directory.
Can i also safely transfer those files in -devel package ?

Fourth, all directories generated by .zo file compilation have sticky bit set.
Is it a purpose ? I left it, as i wasn't sure, but it is definitely not a
standard practice.

Fifth, i have several zero-lenght files, as $PLT_HOME/collects/launcher/sh, or
$PLT_HOME/collects/doc/drscheme/keywords.scm. Can i safely remove them ?

Thanks for your help.