[plt-scheme] naming contributed .plt files and collections

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Nov 22 06:01:53 EST 2002

Suggestion for authors of contributed PLT packages...

I'd find it helpful if the convention were for "<name>.plt" files (or
"<name>-<version>.plt" files) to install to a single collection, named
"<name>".  (Of course there would be exceptions.)

Some ".plt" files create one or more collections with generic names,
which can get confusing if you're trying to find the documentation and
code for a given package you installed, or if you discover some code in
your collection tree but can't immediately tell which package it came
from.

Also, the collection namespace is pretty flat, so naming collections
with the proper name of the package conserves namespace better than
creating one or more collections with generic names.

I suppose generic names should probably be left for future official PLT
collections, in any case.

Just a suggestion, as a user of contributed PLT packages.

--
                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/