[plt-scheme] MrEd and Xemacs

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 12:27:39 EDT 2002

That example solves a different problem. It's creating a console for
I/O. I'm looking for a way to use existing I/O handles (not necessarily
to a console) when they're available.

Most likely, the problem reduces to knowing when the initial standard
file handles are useful and when they aren't. In other words, when
XEmacs starts MrEd, the standard file handles are presuambly connected
to the XEmacs buffer, but MrEd doesn't know that.

Maybe there's no way to tell the difference in Windows, and we just
have to add a command-line flag to MrEd.

Matthew

At Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:34:00 -0400, "Paul Steckler" wrote:
> > In Unix (including OS X), run
> >
> >   mred -z
> >
> > to get MrEd with a MzScheme-like REPL using stdin, stdout, and stderr.
> >
> > [That doesn't work in Windows, because the OS seems not to deliver a
> >  useful stdin, stdout, and stderr to GUI programs. If anyone knows how
> >  to solve this Windows problem, please let me know.]
>
> It looks like the code at
>
>   http://www.halcyon.com/ast/dload/guicon.htm
>
> will redirect stdout and stderr to the Windows console.
>
> -- Paul

Posted on the users mailing list.