[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme v203 available

From: Paul Steckler (steck at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 20 14:53:28 EST 2002

PLT Scheme v203 is now available from

  http://download.plt-scheme.org/

This release adds a number of powerful features and fixes
a significant error in the graphics toolbox for the Windows
version.

New features:

 - DrScheme provides a prototype Test Suite tool for creating and
   managing test suites in the spirit of the How To Design Programs
   design recipes. It is intended to be used with the HtDP teaching
   languages.  Choose "New Test Suite" from the File menu to get
   started.

   For v204 we intend to integrate the Test Suite tool into DrScheme.
   We urge people who teach with DrScheme to explore the test suite
   tool and to report their experiences to PLT.

   Help Desk: search for `Test Suite'

 - The draw.ss teachpack now provides the function

     get-key-event : -> Key

   This function enables programmers who use the draw.ss
   teachpack to write interactive drawing games.  For two
   examples, see

     http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Extended/igames.html

   Help Desk: search for `draw.ss'

   Warning: The function fails intermittently on Mac OS X. We intend
   to fix this problem in a future release.

 - Help Desk users can choose whether they wish to use a
   frame-based version.  A toggle switch for this choice (in the
   form of a link) appears on the Help Desk home page.  It can
   also be changed in the Help Desk configuration.

 - Help Desk users can once again use the PLT internal browser.
   Look for the browser preference in DrScheme's preferences panel.

 - Servlets written for the Web server can report exceptions directly
   to the browser using the `report-errors-to-browser' procedure.

   Help Desk: search for `report-errors-to-browser'

Errors fixed:

 - Removed an error in MrEd for Windows that was a frequent
   source of instability.

All users should strongly consider updating to this new version.

Please note that, effective with this release, PLT no longer
provides binary tar.gz archives, binary RPM archives, and
source RPM archives for Red Hat Linux.  Red Hat users should
download the Unix/X sources and compile binaries.  See the file
plt/src/README for details.

Enjoy!

-- Paul

Posted on the users mailing list.