[plt-scheme] MrEd: creating an inactive child

From: Doug Orleans (dougo at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 5 08:18:45 EST 2002

Matthew Flatt writes:
 > At Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:29:59 -0700 (MST), Matthew Flatt wrote:
 > > At Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:20:09 -0700 (MST), Matthew Flatt wrote:
 > > > I added an 'inactive style flag to each subwindow<%> class. The change
 > > > is exp-tagged in CVS.

Thanks!  This does the trick.

 > > The more I look at it, the less I like the word "inactive".
 >
 > Changed to 'deleted.

Well, I think I prefer "inactive"...  I know the window is actually
added and deleted, but conceptually it's more like it's never added
to begin with.  I can't really think of a better word at the moment.
(away? offstage? behind-the-curtain?)

By the way, it might be handy if there were a way to specify at
creation time where the child should be added to its parent's children
list, instead of always adding to the end of the list.  It would be
extra-handy if I could specify whether it should replace or insert.
Maybe something like:

    (instantiate panel% (foo '(replace)) (index 3))

which would delete foo's 3rd child and replace it with the new panel%
(without updating the display in between).  Or, to just insert the
new panel% at the beginning of foo's children list:

    (instantiate panel% (foo) (index 0))

--dougo at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.