[plt-scheme] I want the old help desk back

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 27 11:38:40 EDT 2002

> I'm missing something -- what tags?

I don't think we need to generate even more traffic on the plt-scheme
list discussing old messages.  I think we all know the general
problem.  To summarize:

In v200, everything "worked" but the browser was awful.

In v201, the browser was great (since it wasn't ours) when it worked,
  but lots of other things broke.

In v202 we have made incremental progress.

The bottom line is that we want to rely on external browsers so we can
get out of that business, especially since, with the availability of
Dorai Sitaram's superb tex2page, we can produce high-quality HTML that
our own browser cannot justly present.

That said, there are two sources of difficulties, independent of
platform:

- picking a browser (configuration issue)
- connecting to it (networking issue)

The integration has generally worked more poorly on Unix, as befits
the lawlessness of that frontier, but there have been problems on
Windows and the Mac also.  We are weeding them out.

We're grateful to our users who have pointed out many shortcomings in
our initial configuration options; no doubt you will suggest further
improvements, and we would love to hear of them.  Even better would be
if people can recommend patches that solve problems.  But our biggest
help comes simply from people trying things out on a diversity
platforms, as y'all have done.  Keep pounding on us!

Cheers,
Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.