[racket-dev] having zo files from two versions

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jan 6 14:14:22 EST 2015

Dan Liebgold wrote on 01/06/2015 02:00 PM:
> What is a straightforward way to designate the "compiled" directory to
> look for zo files in that can be based on the Racket version?  I'd
> like to have Racket 5.2.1 and 6.1 running in parallel to aid in
> upgrading our version.
> Thanks!

I'd like for this to be the default behavior for Racket.

One possible way: Insert a directory level between the `compiled`
directory and its contents, with the directory named with the Racket
version number with which the code is compiled.  Only that Racket
version will run that compiled code.

(When I've been using Racket version A to run a code tree, and then use
Racket version B with the same code tree, I don't mind waiting for a
recompile of the code tree, and I'd really prefer it not disturb the
code compiled with Racket version A.  I also don't mind cluttering disk
space with compiled code for Racket versions that I no longer use; I can
always make a script to clean those up.)

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.