From: Eric Dobson (eric.n.dobson at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 28 22:50:50 EDT 2014

I don't think that TR should provide the majority of the optimizations
in its current form because it has to run before inlining, and this
limits what it can do.

Here is an example program:
#lang typed/racket

(: my-sequence-map
   (All (A B)
     (case->
       ((A -> B) (Vectorof A) -> (Vectorof B))
       ((A -> B) (Listof A) -> (Listof B)))))
(define (my-sequence-map f s)
  (if (vector? s)
      (vector-map f s)
      (map f s)))

(my-sequence-map add1 (vector 1 2 3))
(my-sequence-map add1 (list 1 2 3))

I would like this to be optimized to:
(vector-map add1 (vector 1 2 3))
(map add1 (list 1 2 3))

I think this case of code will be very common if we move to a world
where we work over generic sequences/datastructures, and specializing
the call sites will be a big win.

TR cannot do this optimization because it requires inlining. And the
current version of racket cannot optimize this either because it
becomes

(let ((s (vector 1 2 3)))
  (if (vector? s)
      (vector-map add1 s)
      (map add1 s)))

Which isn't optimized because when we see (vector? s) we don't know
that s is a vector as Mathew's change only works if the constructor is
inline (i.e. of the form (vector? (vector 1 2 3))). Cases like this
make me think that we need something stronger than context free
rewrite rules over the ast/bytecode.