From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 21:25:31 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:26 AM,  <mflatt at racket-lang.org> wrote:

> | optimizer: ad hoc optimization of predicates applied to constructions
> |
> | This is probably more of a job for Typed Racket, but maybe it's
> | useful to detect some obviously unnecessary allocations of lists, etc.

I think this is a useful discussion to have. I think there are two
questions to answer:

1. Do we want people to need to use a particular language for greater
optimization, whether that's Typed Racket or some other optimizer?

2. How should we optimize the code that Typed Racket depends on?
Since this is a finite amount, we could manually do this, but we might
not want to.

Of course, in the absence of other constraints, it would be great to
have infinite optimizations at every level. But in our actual setting,
I don't know what I think the answer to either of these questions is.

Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.