[racket-dev] Implementation question

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 08:34:09 EDT 2014

One simpler possibility is to use `tcp-connect/enable-break` and run a
timer in parallel to break it after a shorter delay.
For example:

(define-values (in out) (values #f #f))

(define connect-thread
  (thread
   (λ()(set!-values (in out)
                    (tcp-connect "www.google.com" 80)))))

(sleep 3)
(unless in
  (displayln "Connection not established. Breaking thread.")
  (break-thread connect-thread))

The timer can also be place into its own thread if you need to set up
several connections in parallel.

Hope this helps,
Laurent