[racket-dev] Pinging BYU people!! (was: DOS attack on planet?)

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 21:03:51 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> A few minutes ago, Jay McCarthy wrote:
>>
>> In retrospect, I guess it's not so obvious that the package server
>> contacts the old server regularly to build the compatibility version
>> packages.
>
> Is this the package server??  The IP I have for that is
> 128.187.105.226, which is different from the IP that caused the
> traffic.  This is why I couldn't guess what causes the traffic, and
> guessed some rogue experiment in indexing on some test machine.
>
> In any case, if it is the package server through some other machine,
> then it's best to change it so it comes from the actual server.

I don't know what's going on with that. It's in a VM, so maybe
something is fishy when traffic leaves it versus when it comes to it?

>> > It's back on now.
>>
>> Thanks... it looks like I'm still getting 403s though.
>
> Ah, sorry -- I forgot to remove the apache rule too.  Should be
> working now.

Yes, thanks.

> Also, since it's scanning the planet packages (at least looks like
> that), and those really don't change that often, then it'll be much
> better to do this scan much more infrequently -- like once every hour
> or so rather than once every two seconds...

It is supposed to do it weekly. I just turned it back on and did not
get an error, so I'm not sure what the problem was. (The 403 errors
totally filled the log, so I couldn't tell what the problem was
earlier in the day.) So, I'm not sure what the problem was.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay