From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 17 11:20:05 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Greg Hendershott <greghendershott at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > I think the problem is the way that the release and development version
> > numbers got out of sync for a while. Version 5.3.6 is derived fairly
> > directly from v5.3.4 (and v5.3.5) by adding only a small set of bug-fix
> > patches. Version 5.3.6 has almost nothing that was added in the
> > v5.3.4.x development series.
>
> Ah.
>
> My (mis)understanding of the process was: "My change was accepted and
> merged to `master` well before 5.3.5 was released, therefore my change
> will be in 5.3.5".  (In fact at the time I thought, that's lucky
> timing, it will make it into 5.3.5!)
>
> But although that seemed to be how it worked for my few previous PRs
> (e.g. adding Markdown output to Scribble), it's not necessarily true.
>
> Is that correct?
>
> For the future: Is there something I could/should have done to ensure
> the change made it to release?  (Or, was this just a window where such
> a change was unlikely to be accepted?)

No, unfortunately, not. Because we have been in the middle of the big
changes related to the package system, everything except essential bug
fixes have not gone into any of the releases.

And, FWIW, a more precise characterization of your second paragraph above
is "my change was accepted and merged to master before the release branch
for release X happened". That would usually be sufficient.

Robby