From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 17 08:15:42 EDT 2013

At Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:03:30 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt
> <samth at cs.indiana.edu>wrote:
>

> > On Sep 17, 2013 4:38 AM, "Robby Findler" <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW, this seems to have broken the snapshot builds. I'll add the
> > missing dependency declarations so I can restart the northwestern snapshots.
> >
> > Is this a situation where we can make the builds more robust? Presumably
> > this issue wouldn't have prevented the snapshot from working.
> >

> The snapshots don't currently distinguish between different ways that raco
> setup returns a non-zero exit code.
>
> And it isn't like we didn't know that there was a problem. Next time,
> probably best to just not commit something that makes raco setup unhappy
> but instead discuss it first.

Yes, please treat missing package dependencies the same as any other
build error. Mistakes will happen, but they should be corrected as soon
as possible, even if it requires a stop-gap solution.

In this particular case, if `raco setup` hadn't reported failure, the
builds might have hobbled along; I'm not sure. The snapshot build
generally relies on dependencies being accurate, and I don't think it's
worth thinking hard about which inaccuracies might be survivable for a
distribution build.

Posted on the dev mailing list.