[racket-dev] get-x method on key event always returns zero?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Oct 9 17:17:12 EDT 2013

It appears to me that the 'get-x' method on a key event always returns zero, counter to what the docs say. Is this a doc bug, a software bug, or just me being dumb?

FWIW, here's a simple program that illustrates this; press a key while the window has focus, and you will always see 0 in the x value field:

#lang racket/base

(require racket/gui
         racket/class)

(define sound-canvas%
  (class canvas%
    (init-field frame-num-text)
    (init-field y-value-text)

    (define/override (on-char evt)
      (send y-value-text begin-edit-sequence #f)
      (send y-value-text erase)
      (send y-value-text insert
            (format "x value: ~v"
                    (send evt get-x)))
      (send y-value-text end-edit-sequence)
      (send frame-num-text begin-edit-sequence #f)
      (send frame-num-text erase)
      (send frame-num-text insert (format "key : ~a" (send evt get-key-code)))
      (send frame-num-text end-edit-sequence))

    (super-new)))

(let* ([f (new frame% [label "abc"] [width 400] [height 100])]
       [tx (new text%)]
       [ty (new text%)]
       [c (new sound-canvas%
               [parent f]
               #;[paint-callback
                  (make-sound-drawing-callback left-getter right-getter
                                               len data-left data-right)]
               [frame-num-text tx]
               [y-value-text   ty])]
       [ecx (new editor-canvas%
                 [parent f]
                 [editor tx]
                 [style '(no-border no-hscroll no-vscroll)]
                 [stretchable-width #t]
                 [stretchable-height #f]
                 [horizontal-inset 1]
                 [vertical-inset 1]
                 [min-width 50]
                 [min-height 20])]
       [ecy (new editor-canvas%
                 [parent f]
                 [editor ty]
                 [style '(no-border no-hscroll no-vscroll)]
                 [stretchable-width #t]
                 [stretchable-height #f]
                 [horizontal-inset 1]
                 [vertical-inset 1]