[racket-dev] package system, minimal builds and more

From: Tobias Hammer (tobias.hammer at dlr.de)
Date: Mon Oct 7 03:31:08 EDT 2013

All in one answer

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 15:30:11 +0200, Neil Toronto <neil.toronto at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 09:20 AM, Tobias Hammer wrote:
>> * monolithic math
>> currently math is one big package and installing it pulls in nearly
>> everything through the docs. Is it planned to split it into -lib and
>> -doc?
>
> We were waiting for a reason. This is one. I'll try it on my flight home
> tonight. (Never done any package management before.)

Thanks for tackling this. I think its worth the effort.

> I suppose this is a good rule of thumb: if your docs make pictures, put
> them in a separate package.

Yes, thats a good minimum requirement. For standalone builds or for small
devices it
would be even better if it's possible to build everything that might be
useful in
this setting without a single doc.

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 17:26:08 +0200, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> These two are fixed now (with the snapshot build
> http://plt.eecs.northwestern.edu/snapshots/20131003-154d940/).

Thanks, will try as soon as possible.

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:39:42 +0200, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt
<samth at cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> * raco pkg warnings
> On every command i get
> warning: tool "pkg" registered twice: "pkg" and
> #<path:/home/hamm_to/tmp/racket/_tmp/racket-5.90.0.9/collects/pkg>
> warning: tool "setup" registered twice: "setup" and
> #<path:/home//hamm_to/tmp/racket/_tmp/racket-5.90.0.9/collects/setup>
> warning: tool "link" registered twice: "link" and
> #<path:/home/hamm_to/tmp/racket/_tmp/racket-5.90.0.9/collects/setup>
>  /home/hamm_to/tmp/racket/_tmp/racket-5.90.0.9/ is the used installation.

> What command did you run to get this error? I haven't been able to
> replicate it.

It seems to only happen if i have "PLTCOLLECTS=:", not if it's set to
anything else to unset.
Then a "raco pkg" is enough to trigger it.

> You can see these with `raco pkg show`.  Is that what you're looking for?

Exactly what i was looking for (raco pkg show -a -d). Thanks.

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:32:51 +0200, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think I need more details.
>
> If you have pkg A installed, then it should only download a small
> checksum to see if A needs to be updated. If this is broken, then it
> is an error.

That works as supposed.

> If you do NOT have pkg A installed, then it will download the full
> file. If that install fails, then 'raco pkg' cleans up after itself
> and deletes the things it downloaded. Apt does not do this and saves
> everything in a temporary directory that must be manually cleaned. I
> did not implement that because it feels wrong to run a command like
> 'raco pkg clean-old-tmp-files' or something. But it sounds like you
> want that?

Yes, that's what i had in mind because I'm used to this behavior and i was
wondering why raco downloaded the files over and over on a _failed_ install
(Only noticed it because it was a relatively large install). But the
temporary
files are a good point that i completely forgot. I think, in hope that
installs
(hopefully) rarely fail it's better as it is now.

Tobias

Posted on the dev mailing list.