From: Jay McCarthy (jay at racket-lang.org)
Date: Wed Nov 27 20:46:16 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay at racket-lang.org> wrote:
>>
>> If I have background expansion on, then when I open that file it
>> installs the package.
>>

> As I wrote in my previous message, it doesn't do that for me. And I don't
> see how it could do that, actually. Are you saying that you tried this?

Yes. I put that in a file and opened it up with DrRacket then got the
"Can't download a Planet package" error message as-if the install were
stopped.

> Can you explain how you have configured DrRacket to disable the security
> guard that is installed by the background expansion process, please?

Perhaps my trial was bad because the security guard would have stopped
the network access but my error stopped the library from attempting
the network access?

Regardless, "Check Syntax" (I think?) or compilation in Racket would
have installed it. [Now, obviously the same macro tricks could
explicitly call download/install-pkg... but I think it is a bit feeble
to say "Check Syntax" should make no attempt to prevent package
installation.]

> Meanwhile, I would like to point out that your commit has completely
> disabled planet. No packages can be installed. Did you run any test suites
> after making this change?

I tried to install and fetch some packages. I see now that I committed
in the "racket/collects" directory but the changes to make that work
were in the "pkgs/planet-pkgs" directory so I stupidly missed them.

Jay

> Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.