[racket-dev] experiment reorganizing the repo into packages

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 09:07:42 EDT 2013

At Thu, 30 May 2013 09:01:16 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> I also really don't want to have Typed Racket's documentation outside
> of Typed Racket's code repository, and I think it would be a mistake
> to do that for other parts of Racket.  An on-point comment on this
> from just yesterday in a different context:
> https://twitter.com/domenic/status/339848565838983168 and I think the
> same reasons that's true would make splitting repositories for code
> and documentation a big mistake.

Just to make sure that everyone is on the same page: different packages
do not imply different repositories.

When packages are in a single repository, though, things work best if
each package has its own subdirectory. I would imagine, for example,
that "scribble-lib", "scribble-doc", and "scribble" would all be
directories in a single repository (referenced by three packages), for
example.

It may even make sense to have certain different packages in a single
repository whether or not we split "-lib" and "-doc" into packages.

Posted on the dev mailing list.