[racket-dev] proposal for moving to packages: repository

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu May 23 05:49:38 EDT 2013

9 hours ago, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> I was going to comment on the same thing.  While a naive use of "git
> filter-branch" might not retain the history, it should be entirely
> possible to do something a little more intelligent and keep that
> history.

Just to be clear, this is exactly what you can't get with
filter-branch.

> Essentially each of the new repositories could keep the entire
> history of the original repository, followed by a massive
> move/rename, then moving forward with an individual package.

This can work, but it is unrelated to filter-branch: it's basically
starting each package repository from a clone of the monolithic repo,
then move & shuffle things around.

This seems wrong to me in all kinds of ways -- but if someone wants to
do this with *their* package (ie, not a package that I need to deal
with), then it's certainly an option.

(That's one of the big appeals of moving to packages for me: some code
moves to packages which I can let myself Not Care About™.  Knock
youself out with tabs, spaces at ends of lines, braces in code, two
spaces between bindings and values in `let's, and make sure that no
file ends with a newline...)