[racket-dev] proposal for moving to packages

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 21 10:46:29 EDT 2013

On 5/20/13 4:42 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I used to think that we'd take advantage of the package manager by
> gradually pulling parts out of the Racket git repo and making them
> packages.
>
> Now, I think we should just shift directly to a small-ish Racket core,
> making everything else a package immediately. "Core" means enough to
> run `raco pkg'.
>
> A key point to remember is that "package" does not mean "omitted from
> the distribution". Instead, we'll construct a distribution by
> combining the core with a selected set of packages. Initially the
> selected set of packages will cover everything in the current
> distribution.
>
> Jay and I have been lining up the pieces for this change (it's
> difficult to make a meaningful proposal without trying a lot of the
> work, first), and I provide a sketch of the overall plan below.
>
> This plan has two prominent implications:
>
>   * The current git repo's directory structure will change.

Will this directory structure change have an impact on how modules are
referenced?

My biggest concern is the "Realm of Racket" book, which is about to come
out.  It sounds like this change could potentially cause a lot of
confusion if it alters the collects organization.

Thanks,
David

Posted on the dev mailing list.