[racket-dev] proposal for moving to packages

From: Eric Dobson (eric.n.dobson at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 21 00:05:58 EDT 2013

I'm not sure I follow on why binary packages make it easier to reduce
dependencies between packages, or why binary packages offer faster
installs.

I'm guessing that binary packages prevent cyclic dependencies between
packages, but it seems like there are many other options that still
get this side effect. Such as explicit checks when building the
package.

For faster installs, the only benefit I see of binary packages over
precompiled source packages is a small savings in size which doesn't
seem like it would amount to much of the install time.

Can someone explain the claims for binary packages?