[racket-dev] else clauses: possible change to match?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 3 10:47:48 EDT 2013

Right, I agree with this.  My question is basically: are we going to,
in the reasonably near future, be encouraging people to program in a
`#lang racket2` where `cond` works differently, in which case it
doesn't seem worth it to change `match`.  Otherwise, I'll do this now.

Sam

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Cond's else cannot change. I agree that that's what I would change if I
> could have it back to do it over, but we cannot.
>
> That's the way to perhaps be thinking about racket2, tho.
>
> Robby
>

> On Friday, May 3, 2013, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Robby Findler
>> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > For this kind of thing, my preference would be to change match than to
>> > issue
>> > a warning. I don't like warnings that are basically admitting weaknesses
>> > in
>> > the language design.... Of course, changing a core thing like that may
>> > be
>> > more trouble than it is worth, due to backwards compatibility concerns,
>> > which is why I think it is worth raising here to see what others think.
>>
>> I'm happy to make this change to `match`, except that I've heard
>> Matthew say that he would have used a keyword for `else` in `cond` if
>> he had it to do over again, and I wouldn't want to change one way, and
>> then change back.
>>
>> Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.