[racket-dev] Things we could move out of the core

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jun 26 06:36:12 EDT 2013

(BTW, there's a file/private/octree-quantize which should move to
where file/gif is.)

An hour ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> The sandbox, IMO, is a nice standalone library the does not need to
> be in the core. (Ditto for errortrace.)
>
> I like the definition of the core as "minimum stuff to get pkgs
> running" and we should be picky about what goes in -- even to the
> point of rewriting some code to move other stuff out.

This doesn't make sense if things at such a small size turn to
packages.  It's true that a package is a unit of utility for end
users, but it's also a unit of developement.  IMO there are far better
things to move out -- things that are bigger (in size and complexity)
like (on a brief scan) contracts, gui, match, places, units, json,
planet, xml, net, help.[*]

> Think of someone deploying a game on a phone: would they be happy
> with your rationale influencing their app's size?

I think that errortrace has been one of the biggest offenders in terms
of bad bugs of many varieties -- and moving it out won't help.  (And
if I were doing a game on a phone I'd worry about any of the above
much more, btw.)