[racket-dev] PLaneT(2): Single vs multi-collection packages

From: J. Ian Johnson (ianj at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 14 10:52:13 EDT 2013

Agreed. This looks good.
-Ian
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Eastlund" <cce at ccs.neu.edu>
To: "Matthew Flatt" <mflatt at cs.utah.edu>
Cc: dev at racket-lang.org
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 10:42:06 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [racket-dev] PLaneT(2): Single vs multi-collection packages

I vote for this change. I'll happily update my package in order to make it easier for others to contribute new ones.

Carl Eastlund

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Matthew Flatt < mflatt at cs.utah.edu > wrote:

I think more people need to speak up on this question --- particularly
authors of existing packages, since the current proposal necessitates
an update to each existing package.

The proposal is to make single-package collections the default:

* If a directory used as a package has no "info.rkt" file, then it is
treated as a single-collection package.

The single collection's name is the same as the package name (which
tends to be the directory name, but it depends on how you install
the package).

* If a directory used as a package has an "info.rkt" file, but
"info.rkt" doesn't explicitly say that the package is
multi-collection, then it's still a single-collection package.

The "info.rkt" file might supply a name for the single collection,
instead of leaving it to the package name; supplying a name would be
a requirement for ring-0 packages.

For each existing package, the author would need to add a line to the
package's "info.rkt" to indicate that it is a multi-collection package
(or change the layout to single-collection mode, with the caveat that
the package won't work with v5.3.4).

Any more votes for/against?

Racket Developers list:
http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev