[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 21 12:32:10 EDT 2013

At Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:52:43 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
>     1. Makefile in the main directory (not racket/src/Makefile.in) [...]
>
>     So currently I am avoiding using this Makefile

That makes sense. I don't think you want to use that Makefile for
packaging.

>     2. using racket/src configure for x86_64 build and make produces this
>
>   ["gracket" and "starter" in "lib" instead of "bin"]
>
>     That should not be the case gracket is not a library file it belongs to
> /usr/bin

Actually, those binaries are intended to be in "lib". They're not meant
to be run directly, but to generate/support other executables ---
similar to gcc's "cc1".

When the "gui" (or "gui-lib") package is installed, then a "gracket"
executable is added to "bin". The "starter" executable is used by `raco
exe' to generate executables (that sometimes refer back to "gracket").

Posted on the dev mailing list.