[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 20 12:36:09 EDT 2013

At Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:12:26 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> <mflatt-sDh8Nw2yj/+Vc3sceRu5cw at public.gmane.org> said:
>
>     Matthew> The documentation directory and collection directory should be
>     Matthew> configurable, now.
>
>     Looks like but I still have problems with the build process as directory
>     contents are not copied to the destinations.

The "share", "doc", and "etc" directories will be empty/missing for a
core build, so that's as expected. (But "config" vs. "etc" was a bug
that now should be fixed.)

>     Matthew> The label on the "Source" snapshots really should say something
>     Matthew> like "kernel in source form, plus pre-built packages and
>     Matthew> documentation". The "Minimal Racket" variant doesn't have any
>     Matthew> packages, but it has the core collections pre-built, and
>     Matthew> installing a package from the main distribution gets the package
>     Matthew> in pre-built form from the snapshot site.
>
> Sorry my understanding from a source package is just source nothing built or
> pre-compiled interim product. So source = text files + icons. Yours don't
> count as source for me.

Yes, I can understand why they may not be what you want. They're
intended for users who want a complete install that's as fast as
possible on a platform where no pre-built executables are already
available.

>     That also means in the future I would expect a source only package to be
>     available just like it is currently for the 5.3.5 release.

Well, assembling a set of package sources is a kind of interim product
--- as long as the assembled set is non-empty, and especially if it's
something analogous to v5.3.5. But I think I understand what you mean,
and we're just a couple of steps away, now.

Posted on the dev mailing list.