[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Togan Muftuoglu (toganm at opensuse.org)
Date: Thu Jul 18 10:17:10 EDT 2013

    Matthew> At Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:11:28 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
    >> When I check the current HEAD tag of the master this is what I get. Is
    >> this what it should be if not can it be fixed so it reflects reality?
    >>
    >> ~/devel/git-sources/racket $ git describe --tags HEAD
    >> v5.0.1-12863-g3c0b799

    Matthew> I think this result reflects that we don't generally tag commits
    Matthew> in the master branch. We tag releases, but those are normally
    Matthew> commits (that were constructed via branches) that are not
    Matthew> reachable from HEAD. It happens that v5.0.1 coincides with a
    Matthew> commit reachable form HEAD (for reasons I don't know or
    Matthew> remember), and so that've why you get a "v5.0.1" release.

    Matthew> Maybe it would be good to add a tag (more recent than "v5.0.1")
    Matthew> that doesn't include a version number, so it's not so misleading?
    Matthew> Or is it worth adjusting our release process to introduce a tag
    Matthew> that indicates when a release version branched from master?

    I guess it depends on how one works. When there is no release or I want to
    package a git version of the project. I need to put a version number in
    the package spec file, that would make it possible to upgrade or downgrade
    without breaking the rpm database (I guess that would be the case for deb
    packages).

    So the easiest way to get a version number in a git project is for me to
    use the "git describe --tags HEAD" output. That way the created archive
    has a unique name and the base directory name structure is similar to a
    future released source package.

    To give an example the released racket source tarballs have racket-version
    number as the prefix and the tarball name reflects that also
    racket-version.tar.xz (hint provide xz tarballs also they are smaller)

    But the available source is racket-clean-tree.tar.tgz which is not
    consistent with prefix=racket/ and since there is no version number
    anywhere to ease creating or bumping up the version number in the spec,
    that leads to an ambiguity.

    Consequently, having a means to get the version number from the git tree
    makes my life easier. For those who work differently, life is all about
    choices and there is the freedom of choosing.

    Thanks,
    Togan
----

  o    .o.    o     o_    o_    _o     _o   ,_o      o_

Posted on the dev mailing list.