[racket-dev] package install mode

From: Ray Racine (ray.racine at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 5 22:04:57 EST 2013

On installation issues:

 1) Yes on defaulting to an installation-wide install as default.

 2) A non-UI build installation, "server" build capability (in a
backend/engine/runtime not web sense), Image manipulation libraries etc are
installed but full DrDr and associated tooling is not.  (e.g. fast build on
a "cloud" server straight from git with minimal core collection/library
support).
    - Building Racket from source on a AWS small 64-bit server fails.  It
shouldn't (last time I tried)  and it is a niggling inconvenience that it
is so.

 3) Many (even most) of the collections library are non-core and IMHO
should be evicted out into separate github hosted projects with drop-dead
simple installation via Planet2 on demand.  I know this sounds harsh, but
collects is over due for  a healthy paring, if not a full blown gastric
by-pass.
   - I think an independence of development/release cycles between Racket
and a host of stuff in collections is healthier for Racket and those
libraries as well.

Ray