[racket-dev] Revising Racket's home page

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 18:13:19 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <jao at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20 2013, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>
>> Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote at 08/20/2013 09:52 AM:
>>> Can you say more about why this is? Is it the pictures?
>>>

>> Yes, I scroll down the page and I see pictures and a simple picture
>> language, and it seems to be using them to introduce some pretty
>> simple and familiar concepts, so I assume it's for children.
>
> FWIW, i get the exact same feeling.

I think this is a sign that we need to revise the tutorial, not that
we need to not link to it. For example, Quick is the only tutorial
that doesn't assume the reader knows Lisp notation.

> To add to the list of
> purely subjective opinions and wishes, i would also like to see a "pure
> hackers"-looking page i could point prejudiced colleagues to, with
> little emphasis on the educational aspects of Racket.

Relative to the page I've presented, what would be removed?  The Quick
tutorial (but see above) and all or some of the books?  The Redex book
is certainly advanced, but I don't know if it has the appeal you're
looking for.  Anything else?

Thanks for the feedback,
Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.