[racket-dev] Revising Racket's home page

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 11:14:17 EDT 2013

I _really_ like the idea of giving it a fresh redesign and including
more information on the home page.

(comment (for-meta 1 #<<EOF

In a previous life I've participated in some web site redesigns. In my
experience people have many opinions with great reasoning, as well as
style preferences. It can be difficult to get a plurality much less
consensus.

One I encourage us to use was Google Web Optimizer (free). This makes
it easier to run A/B or multivariate experiments by assigning visitors
different versions of a web site page. You measure "goals" such as
reaching some other page, a download, or a purchase.

How this can help:

- You're forced to define the goals -- what do you want to happen.
This includes who the audience(s) are. (Although there can be debate
about this, too, it's usually easier to resolve, or can be stipulated
as strategy by leadership.)

- You can resolve some questions/debates with data -- one variation
performs better.

- You may discover some variations don't matter. On the one hand it's
disappointing you don't get a clear "winner". On the other hand it
shows you don't need to sweat that part of it, and should probably
flip a coin to pick one and move on to other stuff.

Obviously there are certain big things, like overall style or "tone"
or "values", that can't be driven by data. But like goals, they can be
stipulated by leadership.

EOF
)