[racket-dev] Revising Racket's home page

From: David T. Pierson (dtp at mindstory.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 01:31:13 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:39:54PM -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> Recently I (with assistance from Asumu) have spent some time drafting
> a revised home page for Racket. A revised web page will nicely
> complement the big upcoming release, I hope.  You can see the draft
> here, which is ready for people to try out:
>
>   http://homes.soic.indiana.edu/samth/new-web/

I think the header should include "Racket", probably to the right of the
logo.

> 1. It works well on small devices, which our current page doesn't.
> Try it out on a phone or a tablet.

I tried it on an iPhone running an oldish iOS (5.1.1 it seems).  The text
size is more readable, but the organization/layout needs work.  For
example, after the top header I see headings and sections in the
following order (note the "News" heading):

 Racket: A programmable
 programming language

 Racket is a wide-spectrum ...

 Start Quickly

 News

 <
 (sample program)

 Racket version 5.3.5 has been released.

 Racket videos are now available.

The subsequent headings/sections seem ordered ok, but the sections
themselves could be more clearly set apart from each other.

Also, the book cover images take up a lot of screen space (full width of
the page) on the phone.

David

Posted on the dev mailing list.