[racket-dev] Symlink trouble

From: Tobias Hammer (tobias.hammer at dlr.de)
Date: Wed Apr 17 11:19:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:39:22 +0200, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu>
wrote:

> Yes, I think Racket should use PWD --- if the expansion of soft links
> produces the same path as getcwd(), which seems to be what "/bin/pwd"
> does.

That check is even better than the one i had in mind. That should prevent
any
possible ambiguities.

> Should Racket also set PWD (optionally, but by default) when it creates
> a subprocess? I think probably so.

Yes, i think that is a sensible default. Setting only the os cwd, as
racket currently does would cause the same problems for any subprocesses
that uses this information (at least most shells and, in the future,
racket).

> To make sure we're all on the same page:
>
> The general problem is that there can be more than one filesystem path
> that reaches a file. It would be great if we could normalize every path
> to a canonical form, but path normalization in general seems to
> intractable due to the possibilities of soft links, hard links,
> multiple mount points, case-sensitivity choices, and probably other
> twists that I'm forgetting. We have therefore settled on different
> definitions of "same file", depending on the context.

Right

> For module paths, "same file" involves only syntactic normalizations of
> the pathname (e.g., no checking for soft links). Various pieces of the
> system are carefully implemented to be consistent with syntactic
> normalization. For example, suppose that PLTCOLLECTS is set to
> "/home/mflatt/plt", but "/home/mflatt" is a symlink to "/Users/mflatt";
> pathnames associated to modules that are accessed via collection will
> consistently use "/home/mflatt", and not somehow hop over to
> "/Users/mflatt". As long as a user is similarly consistent when
> supplying paths, it all works out.

That matches my observations. Files accessed via collection always keep
their
paths 'as is'. But it is enough to start a program via racket <file>
instead of
racket -l what/ever to break this. Therefore it seems to be the normal
case that
it fails (at least for console racket).

> Unfortunately, `current-directory' is a place where you don't get to
> choose the path. You might say "/home/mflatt/plt" to get to a Racket
> installation, but to initialize `current-directory', the path gets
> turned into an inode and back to a path via getcwd() --- exactly the
> sort of thing that breaks a syntactic view of "same".

Correct

> The PWD environment variable addresses the problem with getcwd(): nice
> shells set PWD based on a syntactic derivation of the current
> directory, instead of an inode-based derivation.
>
> So, Racket should take advantage of the information that nice shells
> provide. Probably it should also act as a nice shell by default.

What exactly do you mean by acting as a nice shell? Setting PWD for
subprocesses?
In that sense it should definitely be nice (by default).

> (As it happens, I use "csh" on Mac OS X, and it's not nice in the above
> sense. That helps explain why I never got PWD vs. cwd() before.)

Just tried bash, csh and ksh on linux and they all seem to set PWD. But i
can't tell
if thats the default or specific to my installation.

Mail: tobias.hammer at dlr.de

Posted on the dev mailing list.